Wait for file timeout clean exit?

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jackson.eyton
Premium Member
Premium Member

Wait for file timeout clean exit?

Post by jackson.eyton »

Hi everyone,
I have a sequence job that I was hoping to have scheduled in such a way that at 6pm it starts waiting for a file to appear. If that file does not appear in 12 hours, stop waiting and try again at 6pm. I did not realize that if the timeout threshold is hit, the job ends with an aborted status and therefore will not run again at its next scheduled time. *using Director for scheduling* Does anyone have any suggestions on a way around this, to get the job to end cleanly even if the wait for file timeout is hit, or to go ahead and clear the abort status/ignore it and run the job again at its next schedule time?
-Me
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Add a Failure trigger to the WaitForFile activity. This will be used rather than aborting the sequence. Perhaps log an event reporting that the file did not arrive, then exit the sequence cleanly.

Schedule from Director (or a 3rd party scheduler) to start at the same time every day. Or every weekday, or whatever you require.
Last edited by ray.wurlod on Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
jackson.eyton
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jackson.eyton »

ray.wurlod wrote:Add a Failure trigger to the WaitForFile activity. This will be used rather than aborting the sequence. Perhaps log an event reporting that the file did not arrive, then exit the sequence cleanly.
Ahh I think I got most of that, I will give that a shot.

Side note, I couldn't read all of your response, I had assumed that when reading others posts, since I am not a premium member I would not be able to read all of some longer posts made by premium members. I see here that replies to my own posts by premium members will also be truncated?

P.S. I'm working on getting the membership approved.
-Me
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You didn't miss much, so I opened it.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
jackson.eyton
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jackson.eyton »

Thanks Ray! I can confirm that the trigger adjustment did indeed do the trick, makes sense too, a little sheepish I hadn't considered that. Thanks again! :oops:
-Me