Expose DataStage job as web service

Dedicated to DataStage and DataStage TX editions featuring IBM<sup>®</sup> Service-Oriented Architectures.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

Sachin_h
Participant

Expose DataStage job as web service

Post by Sachin_h »

Hi all,
We need to expose DataStage jobs as web service, so that they can be called from Java & .Net applications. Can you pls. let me know the steps for the same or which tools will enable us to implement this requirement.

Thanks,
Sachin
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

First of all, let's get you in the proper forum... and here we are.

Secondly, it's not a short conversation that a post or two can sum up. Luckily, there's a lot of information out there on the subject, official or otherwise, including this from the official documentation. Search the internet for other discussions. You might also look through some of the posts in this forum as well.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

One of the buzzwords to look up is WSDL.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

This is done directly, and very nicely, if you have licensed and installed the Information Services Director. .....search this forum....and the formal doc at the KC...there are years of good posts....also look for WISD and RTI for additional information (WebSphere Information Services Directoe and Real Time Integration respectively). ISD basically uses the core of a Job and makes the source and target your web service client.....for request/response processing. You can also use it to launch regular Kobs, but the true value is in making the Job be "the" wen service. It supports REST and SOAP,.and also several legacy protocols.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Okay, Ernie... I get that "KC" is the Knowledge Center that I linked to but a little soft on what "Kobs" or the "wen service" might be. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

On my phone and on an airplane. Sorry! Not going to try and correct those.... ; ) ....unless of course, I type something like kson instead of json. haha.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Regular job design:

Code: Select all

source ---> other stages ---> target
Job design for exposing as Web service:

Code: Select all

ISD Input stage ---> other stages ---> ISD Output stage
That's it for job design changes. I'm assuming here that the original job processes XML that looks like a web request payload, so probably includes some XML-handling stage(s).
Then you need to configure the job via the Information Server Console (e.g. "always running" vs "auto start", number of instances, and so on).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.