database table deadlock

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

abyss
Premium Member
Premium Member

database table deadlock

Post by abyss »

hi all
i think this is more like a database question rather than a ds question but someone may can help me on here.

i have a job has two sql server stages that update same table and they may update same row, if they do the deadlock will occur. these 2 stages runs very different queries from same source so they can't be merge into one stage.

my question is there a way to wait one stage finish then start another one? (i know it's unlikely...) or i have to put one of them into another job?

thanks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Can you give some details on the job design, please? I'm unclear if there is one main processing stream that splits to two separate target stages or if there are two distinct processing streams in the same job.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

Isn't a deadlock only going to happen when you try to update/insert data into a common table?

Not sure why you would craft a job that has two stages to update the same table. How do you account for who has priority? Two updates to the same record is dangerous unless you set a prioritized event.

Why not have one upsert event at the end of your flow and ensure that you control which row of data happens before the other row of data.

data stream #2 is concatenated to data stream #1 and than an upsert to the table.

?!?
abyss
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by abyss »

this is my job, populate type 6 table

those 2 SE stages update same table, one is type 1 change another is type 2 change.
I had a kind of illegitimate work around: set the array size to 1 to avoid the problem. consider the whole table only have couple thousand rows the performance is acceptable...
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Not sure why you would consider that an "illegitimate work around", that was the first thing I was going to suggest before I ended up simply asking about the job design.
-craig

abyss
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by abyss »

haha awesome.

then i can mark it as resolved then :D :D :D
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Well... considering how any conversation after that would have involved your data volumes and since you've confirmed it is small and the design is working for you, then yes - sounds like a resolution to me. :wink:
-craig

PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

But the fundamental topic of which thread has priority is still important IMHO.

But that's for abyss to decide.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Of course.
-craig