Unstructured Data Stage - X11 error

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

roblew
Charter Member
Charter Member

Unstructured Data Stage - X11 error

Post by roblew »

We're on Info Server 11.5.0.1 on RedHat Linux.

We have a simple job writing to the unstructured data stage (excel file as output). If we use the defaults in the unstructured stage, only specifying the output file (path and file name) the job completes successfully without errors or warnings. However, if we specify "adjust column width" to "yes", then the job fails with the following odd error:

Code: Select all

Unstructured_Data_4,0: Java runtime exception occurred: java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11 window server using 'localhost:10.0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable. (sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment::initDisplay, file X11GraphicsEnvironment.java, line -2)
Why would the job even be trying to open an X11 window in the first place? Any ideas?

The IBM online documentation doesn't mention any details beyond the basics.

I see this technote about WAS needing to set the DISPLAY variable, but I don't understand why this would be necessary for running a DataStage job in the first place.
anamika
Participant

Post by anamika »

For some reason, a jar is being executed which is attempting to connect to a X server. You can diagnose this in a couple of ways - check to see if the DISPLAY environment variable is set in the shell that launches Datastage Director or Designer.
Try running the job from the command line to see if the same error is reproduced - likely not.

A more involved scenario - when your job starts, check to see if a related java VM is launched and if possible try to find out the script that launches java and try to re-launch the same jar with -Djava.awt.headless=true

Cheers
ETL, DW, BI Consultant
abbhi
Participant

Same error

Post by abbhi »

Just going through the forum and found this which says exactly the same error as mine. But its un-resolved.

Do anybody have something to add to it ?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Smells like a bug to me, have you involved your official support provider?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Lamont Lockwood
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Lamont Lockwood »

Check your job log environment to see if DISPLAY is set. I received the same error, but it went away when I added "unset DISPLAY" to dsenv.

Lamont
UCDI
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by UCDI »

We had similar problems with java issues and errors like this until we patched. this was for 11.5. Once patched, the problems just went away. Make sure you are up to date?

We are also on redhat etc.