Capturing CDC logs into a table

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nibumathewbabu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Capturing CDC logs into a table

Post by nibumathewbabu »

Hi All,

I have a requirement to capture the CDC logs (ie: number of copy rows, number of rows inserted, number of rows updated/deleted) in to a table. Is there any easy way to achieve this?

Please suggest options.
Thanks
Nibu Mathew Babu
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Why don't we start with some groundwork, some details of your requirement. Are we talking about database logs, say from a standby server or some other publish/subscribe CDC source or something else? Which database are you using? Are the logs currently being delivered to you and if so, how? Do you have the metadata for them?

I'd also be curious what, if anything, you've tried so far and what exact issues you are facing. At its most basic, getting something "into a table" should be pretty straight forward.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Is the requirement actually to have CDC capture information from the transaction logs?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

What you are being asked to do is already performed by an IBM product that is integrated in DataStage:

InfoSphere Change Data Capture
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgece ... f_cdc.html

A good example of usage on DeveloperWorks is:

An efficient change data capture using IBM InfoSphere CDC Transaction Stage
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/data ... index.html

And no - there is no easy way to do what that product does. To be truthful, I'm also not certain what the legal restrictions are on using CDC data without a license.
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020