Balanced Optimizer missing / unavailable

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jackson.eyton
Premium Member
Premium Member

Balanced Optimizer missing / unavailable

Post by jackson.eyton »

Hi everyone,
I'm about midway through an advanced DataStage class with existBI and we recently went over job optimization in the lab.

I have a good number of jobs that are essentially just moving data with some basic type conversions from one table to another in the same database. Based on what I have learned from the optimize features there's a good chance I could offload a good portion of that to the SQL server itself, in my case a Netezza.

However, my coworker nor I can use Optimize in our Designer. The icon is missing entirely from the toolbar, and it's greyed out under the File menu. Does anyone have any insight as to why this might be?
-Me
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It's a paid option...
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by priyadarshikunal »

With such "basic transformation" you could optimize it yourself. Few years back that option wasn't there in datastage at all.
Priyadarshi Kunal

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. :wink:
jackson.eyton
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jackson.eyton »

Yea, pretty sure we paid for it but I will have to double check. I will have to check into the self optimization further, netezza uses some SQL functions that I am not familiar with and omits some that I am more familiar with. I was quite curious to see how DataStage wrote the code for some of the optimizations from a reverse engineering standpoint. :-p
-Me
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

8)
-craig

jackson.eyton
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jackson.eyton »

Thanks QT_KY,
We are indeed 11.5 here, it sounds like this is something that our server administrators may not have setup when they installed InfoSphere?
-Me
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

That is entirely possible. We did not install that option either. At the time of our install, it was not known to us to be a no extra cost option in 11.5.

This can be verified on the server. Go to the install directory where the Version.xml file is:

$ grep -i bal response.txt
DataStage.BalOp=false
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

Though it is no longer chargeable, it is definitely still an optional installation step. Many administrators don't realize that it was included in the base license at 11.5, and still don't install it.

Be aware that there are a number of restrictions placed on when Balanced Optimization will automatically push SQL down to the database.

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgece ... tions.html
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
jackson.eyton
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jackson.eyton »

Yea it turns out we started with 11.3 and upgraded to 11.5. The individual who did the upgrade was not aware that this was now a non-charged inclusion and just used the same response file he used before. Working to have him get it installed. Thanks for that list of limitations! Looks like most of what I am looking to do is supported so I'm still quite curious to give it a shot on some of my jobs.
-Me
rkashyap
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rkashyap »

Post initial installation, Balanced optimization can be turned on/offthru iisAdmin.

Command to switch it ON:

Code: Select all

<IS_install_path>/ASBServer/iisAdmin.sh -set -key com.ibm.iis.datastage.license.feature.BAL_OPT -value 1
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

If it's installed. :wink:
-craig