different versions on client/server

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

different versions on client/server

Post by qt_ky »

An 11.5.0.1 client (Designer) is allowed to log into the 11.5.0.2 (with Service Pack 1) server with no warnings or errors provided. Is there a way to enforce that client versions must match the server version?

A couple reasons I am asking:

1. A client-tier security patch is required to avoid a vulnerability. If someone reinstalls a fresh client without the patch, we need to disallow connections from such unpatched clients. We actually ran into this back on version 8.7.

2. Even further back in the days of 7.5.1, 7.5.1A, and 7.5.1B, we ran into a client-tier situation involving the pre-compile step that somehow made differences as runtime with a job working successfully or not. It's been so long ago I forget if the version difference resulted in an aborted job or a job that produced incorrect results. In any case, the client version made a HUGE difference.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

I suspect this is an IBM question and not one that can be answered by the unwashed masses.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Agreed.

And dang, I remember dealing with #2 back in the day. Specifically, a client patch that corrected a sequence job compilation issue... compile without the patch, job no workie, with the patch the generated code (which I think had something to do with looping) actually worked. Had to put an annotation on the canvas to that effect. :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Right-o!

I was hoping someone on the bleeding edge had already crossed this path recently, or if there is already a known way in an older version then I would be happy to test it on 11.5.0.2+SP1.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

I have opened a PMR to inquire.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can use the dsrpcservices file to specify which clients can connect. The default is * (all clients).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

I will look into that. Thanks!
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Is the dsrpcservices file documented anywhere? It's a one-liner with no comments:

Code: Select all

dscs /opt/IBM/InformationServer/Server/DSEngine/bin/dsapi_server * TCP/IP 0 0
How would one limit clients--based on computer name, IP address, or other?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Field 1 is dscs (DataStage common service)
Field 2 is the pathname of the dsapi_server executable.
Field 3 is a comma-delimited list of IP addresses from which connection requests can be accepted.
Field 4 is the network protocol to be used (always TCP/IP)

I can't recall what fields 5 and 6 do, and am not presently in a position to research these. The file used to be documented in the DataStage Administrator course; I'm not sure if it still is.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Thank you for the tips! I had searched the Support Portal, Knowledge Center, and DSXchange and come up empty.

Field 5 - no idea.

Field 6 - I found it corresponds with the DS Administrator's Inactivity timeout value.

Would the idea behind using the dsrpcservices file be to block people out until ensuring their client has the correct version, fix pack, service pack, and patch level?

If so, I suppose that would be similar to revoking suite security roles through the web console, and restoring them one at a time to each user once their levels were verified.

Unless I am missing something, it sounds like the bottom-line is that we have to implement a process in order to enforce version-matching. It cannot be enforced by the software itself. IBM Support was suggesting entering an enhancement request.