Retry after failure - JDBC connector

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

clarcombe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Retry after failure - JDBC connector

Post by clarcombe »

Following on from another topic I have posted when we have a failure on our JDBC connector, I was wondering what process I could place to retry or automatically restart a job if there is a failure.

We connect to a DB2 Z/OS mainframe and, more often than not, there are no resources on the mainframe to service our enquiry.

Our Delete/Insert jobs hang and we need to restart them manually. Is there a way to detect this sort of error and loop and try again X times until the job actually completes ?

Thanks
Colin Larcombe
-------------------

Certified IBM Infosphere Datastage Developer
clarcombe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Retry after failure - JDBC connector

Post by clarcombe »

We have not been able to get to the bottom of why this is failing. Even though we have installed the latest JDBC connector we still get intermittent failures.

I have asked the production team who run the DS script to re-run the script up to 5 times if they get an error code returned from the DS script.

This is not a great solution and they are reluctant to implement it. I find it strange that there is no retry after failure option.
Colin Larcombe
-------------------

Certified IBM Infosphere Datastage Developer
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

I don't know about the JDBC stage. The Oracle Connector stage does have some retry yes/no settings and sub-settings you can enable. Hopefully IBM would provide the same functionality on the JDBC Connector.

As you discovered on this post, you can work around it at a higher level, automatically, by using looping in a sequence job.

viewtopic.php?t=157449
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius