Manully alter DS DSX or XML job exports

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Griffin07
Premium Member
Premium Member

Manully alter DS DSX or XML job exports

Post by Griffin07 »

Hi, i have a situation where I need to add 4 job paramaters to all our jobs (over 20,000) and also to the job sequences that run them (over 3,000). I was looking to see if anyone had tried to script a process to add paramaters to both jobs and job sequences and also in the job sequences set them for the jobs to paramaters added in the job sequence. Looking for a way to automate this update.

thanks
UCDI
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by UCDI »

yes, I have done this. You just have to be very careful.
What I did was write code that can take the job parameters in 1 job and move them into another. I advise you to do this by hand a few time on some small test jobs until you are confident in what goes where, then try to write code to automate it. If you mess it up, the imports either fail or are corrupted and useless.

I used the dsx.

I did it 1 job at a time; I did not try to process a massive multi-job extract adds more complexity.
Griffin07
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Griffin07 »

thanks for the reply. I think I have it figured out. using an XML export of the jobs I can insert the new paramaters. So far everything is looking good. will be tackling the job Sequences next :)

Thanks agian
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I've done this back in the day both automated and manually and commented on this topic before, echoing much of what is already here. Hope it helps.

FWIW I always found the dsx version easier to work with and you save all the behind the scenes shenanigans where every XML import needs to be converted to dsx before it can actually be imported. Doesn't help that I am not a fan of working with XML. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers