Parameter Sets - Programmatically Updating Value Files

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

MrBlack
Participant

Parameter Sets - Programmatically Updating Value Files

Post by MrBlack »

This is more of an DevOps/Admin question.

Background
We use parameter sets to store the DB credentials for stages. We'll make a Value File for our dev/test/prod. We use a password vault application called CyberArk. CyberArk has the ability on a schedule to automatically log into our databases and change passwords. Very handy for the dept. to keep in compliance with the annual password change policy.

Question
I would like to extend the automated password change functionality into the parameter set value files. Does anyone know of a way to do this programmatically?

What I know so far
On the engine I found where these value files are stored:

Code: Select all

../Projects/<project name>/ParameterSets/<Parameter Set Name>
And I can see that they're human readable.

Before I started hacking away at command line code to parse these files to change the password, I wanted to see if there was already an IBM solution for this?

I have found IBM documentation on how to encrypt a new value if I do have to do this on my own:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgece ... nning.html
UCDI
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by UCDI »

typically passwords and such are put into env variables which can be encrypted and hidden and pulled into a param set from there.

You can set env variables with a routine, I think. I have not had to do this, but I am 99% sure you can do it somehow.

I think you can also set them with a unix script via istool or something (not sure exactly, I am not our admin and only have a tangential understanding of what is possible). You could easily automate that. If not unix, you can still do this with batch file or unix emulation suite etc.
JRodriguez
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by JRodriguez »

No out of the box IBM solution yet...hack away...the file as you noted is a simple file, and any changes made to the value file will be populated to the Parameter Set automatically
Julio Rodriguez
ETL Developer by choice

"Sure we have lots of reasons for being rude - But no excuses