Accessing IE during Information Server installation on Linux

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mouthou
Participant

Accessing IE during Information Server installation on Linux

Post by mouthou »

Hi All,

For Information Server 11.5 installation on LINUX OS based server machine (a virtual machine), IBM installation manual says the installation will open up Internet Explorer as the GUI interactive mode to carry out the steps. Is it possible to open IE on Linux machine as if it is Windows machine.

It would be grateful to know if any version of IE to be kept pre-installed on the installing Linux server. Or whether even IE can be installed on Linux machine and if so, how can it be done so?

Appreciate your inputs on this.
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

If you want to use the Internet Explorer browser for installing on Linux, you'll be running it on a remote Windows computer. You can of course choose to use a browser on the local Linux computer, but that would be a supported Firefox browser.

Just follow the installation instructions as documented.

Mike
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I have just installed 11.5 on a virtual RHEL machine and, yes, it opened IE. Alas, the site only has IE8. So I copied the URL into Firefox (a supported version) and used that, closing the IE window immediately without connecting. Worked fine. Maybe you could manually open a browser on your Linux machine and work from there.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
mouthou
Participant

Post by mouthou »

Thanks Mike and Ray. From the documentation for Linux, it is not giving much hope as how Linux server VM machine will open an IE window as such on itself. So I was checking if any IE version available for Linux alone or documentation is giving incorrect understanding.

From Ray's reply, I assume that the installation was done from a client VM (with Windows OS) which would have opened IE and then connecting to Linux server VM. But I was referring to the server components installation on the Linux server VM itself (since the client VMs are not going to be ready by the time IS server installation starts)
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The installation of services and engine tier was begun by running setup on the Linux machine. It emits a URL that should be able to be pasted into any (supported) browser on any machine. Firefox is available for Linux.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
mouthou
Participant

Post by mouthou »

Thanks Ray. It gives some sign that Windows OS based browsers (of some non-Windows versions) can be triggered from Linux platforms manually or by IS installation process. Appreciate you trying it on a machine and confirming it.