Look But Don't Run Role?

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ray.wurlod
Participant

Look But Don't Run Role?

Post by ray.wurlod »

Is there any role that allows a user to inspect a job design (including the transformations within it) but does not allow them to run said job?

Inspection can use DataStage Designer, Operations Console or Information Governance Catalog.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
JRodriguez
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by JRodriguez »

The Operations Viewer Role might be the one. I would need to check about the execution part when the Work Load Management utility is enabled, but if disabled the users on this role won't be able to execute jobs
Julio Rodriguez
ETL Developer by choice

"Sure we have lots of reasons for being rude - But no excuses
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Operations Viewer only allows one to view an image of the job design. There is no ability to view any stage properties.

This type of role has been requested long ago and I'm afraid it has fallen on deaf ears year after year. Is there any kind of user group that has a voice? Personally I've never even received acknowledgement that any of my requests for enhancement were ever reviewed.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Here is one tech note about a read-only role that was published in 2012 with comment, "Accepted as a requirement for a future release."

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.w ... wg1JR44071

Here is a similar note from 2012 confirming there is no such role.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.w ... wg21404529
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
Timato
Participant

Post by Timato »

maybe an alternative is to grant said user the IGC roles to the view the job designs through IGC instead?
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

Maybe DSODB console.

You could get someone to create a report of the job, externalize the HTML page with picture, edit the HTML so that it references a local path rather than the hardcoded host path for the picture, and then supply them that HTML. Ugly, but it might work.
UCDI
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by UCDI »

do you have multiple environments? You could let them execute and modify etc in development sandbox only, perhaps? Or set up a dummy environment with a copy of the jobs, but no working database connections?