LDAP connection through datastage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

parilango
Participant

LDAP connection through datastage

Post by parilango »

Hi

I am trying to connect to LDAP server as a source. I would like to retrieve the data from LDAP and doing transformation

I would like to know which stage I can use and what are the information required to connect to LDAP.

Thanks
parimala
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

It depends...

Start with some initial research:

1) What kind of API does your LDAP vendor provide?
2) Do you need a real-time interface, batch interface, or something in between?

Mike
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

Ummm....

This may sound silly, so forgive me... but are you referring to the Authentication method called LDAP (Active Directory) ?

An "LDAP" server is a host that uses active directory to be used for authenticating users.

Are you referring to any other type of LDAP acronym?

To log in to an "LDAP" server you need a user id and password, optionally you can use SSH keys for password-less secure connections.

To transfer data from one host to another, you need to either FTP/SFTP the files, SCP the files or connect to a database and extract the data.
mouthou
Participant

Post by mouthou »

Dont know much internals of how LDAP stores its data (system admins can answer this). First of all, as it is being credentials data, isnt it all encrypted.

There is no direct LDAP read feature in DataStage like it does for Oracle, Flat file etc. Pls check and let know what is type of source (file or DB or XML)

Lets say, if the contents are readable, you can use ODBC if your direct LDAP source is DB. Otherwise you can use some wrappers on LDAP server to pre-process the data first and use stages like External Stage to call the wrappers.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

LDAP does not store data. It is a protocol, much like TCP/IP is a protocol.

The data are stored in some kind of store, such as Tivoli Access Manager or Microsoft Active Directory. LDAP provides a mechanism for accessing those data in something akin to a REST API. But different.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
parilango
Participant

Post by parilango »

Hi Ray,

I couldn't read your message fully. but I am trying to get the data from LDAP Active Directory only . Right now my team is using python script to do LDAPSEARCH and get the data. I am looking for an option whether datastage can connect directly to the LDAP active directory and get the data.could you please let me know if there is a way. Thanks in Advance
parimala
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

What are you basically trying to do?

I've used LDAPSEARCH before and found it quite useful.

you have to remember that the LDAP host is not a database to query.

Like Ray said... it's a PROTOCOL for authenticating users.

so...

What are you trying to do?
parilango
Participant

Post by parilango »

Python script is connecting to LDAP and run LDAPSEARCH command to get the data from the directories. I am trying to do the same using datastage.
Not sure how to use them? Scripting is the only way ? or is there any otherway to do in datastage
parimala
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Have you engaged your official support provider yet?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

well... you could use an external source stage to obtain the data and then process it via a datastage job, but that would be gosh darn silly.

You still haven't explained WHAT you are trying to do other than run the ldapsearch command.