Add To Favorites
metadatamen

Group memberships:
Premium Members

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:26 am Reply with quote    Back to top    

DataStage® Release: 11x
Job Type: Server
Hi guys,

I know a metadata can be imported through IMAM, or IMAM.sh command line and these 2 approach uses bridges or connectors to connect with DB or Data File

And the other approach is the istool import, But I don't think istool uses any bridges or connectors to import the metadata though it imports the metadata into existing core information asset.

Technically, it doesn't validate against the actual DB or Flat Files, instead it creates the metadata objects as defined in the input csv file and creates objects in existing IGC core information Asset sections like Data Base or Data Files Accordingly.

Please confirm if my understanding is correct? Also please suggest what are the use cases we could use istools but not IMAM.
eostic

Premium Poster

Group memberships:
Premium Members

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:11 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

Istool has a lot of functions....in this context, it can import table and file metadata (and also business intelligence metadata) from an .isx file that was either (a) exported from another Info Serve ...

blogit!
Open IGC is Here!
Rate this response:  
Not yet rated
metadatamen

Group memberships:
Premium Members

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:22 am Reply with quote    Back to top    

Thanks Ernie for clarifying this, I understand this very well now.

The one thing I noticed when importing Data File trough istool is that it doesn't create the Context information well, meaning when we import through Engine or HDFS connector it creates each folder separately and made available in "Data File Folders" and the same shows as hyperlink in context section so we could traverse through each folder of a particular host, but then we do the same through istool we are loosing this information [no separate folders at all in Data File Folders section and no folder level information in Context section, it just captures only the host name from the .csv file but not the path though we provide this information].

Is this how it works when we import through istool? or am I missing something.

Hope I made it clear on what am talking about here, please let me know if any questions.
Rate this response:  
Not yet rated
eostic

Premium Poster

Group memberships:
Premium Members

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:39 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

It's simply historical. The "File Connector" import, which exists for "Engine" and HDFS, added the first class "folder" object to the repository, the import, and for display within IGC. The isto ...

blogit!
Open IGC is Here!
Rate this response:  
Not yet rated

Add To Favorites
View next topic
View previous topic