Export/Import Stage Variables

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

irshanuddin
Participant

Export/Import Stage Variables

Post by irshanuddin »

Hello,

I created about 30 stage variables in a job that are being reused for multiple calculations. I need to recreate these in a similar job and I was wondering if there was a way to export and import these stage variables across jobs.

Thanks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Not that I know of but perhaps others are aware of a mechanism. I would copy them (name, derivation, initial value, etc.) out to a scratch document and then paste them in the new job. If you are feeling adventurous, export the two jobs and copy in the stage variables portion from first job's dsx file to the second job and import.

Is there any possibility of putting the transformer in a shared container? Depending on how "similar" the two are, of course.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
irshanuddin
Participant

Post by irshanuddin »

Thanks Craig for the suggestions. I was hoping there was an easier way. Cant create a shared container due to different metadata. I guess I will have just open up 2 sessions on 2 monitors and copy each one over manually.
Thanks!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

There may very well be, it's just that I'm not aware of any. But perhaps someone else is! :D
-craig

PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

Doesn't dragging and dropping the stage in question from one job to a new one also incorporate the stage variables?
irshanuddin
Participant

Post by irshanuddin »

That's a good idea Paul.
I will try to copy and paste the transformer stage with the links. That should work.
Thanks!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ah... it's the simple things we forget first. :(
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can copy the stage variables in one Transformer stage and paste them in another.

You can also do this with columns, and you get the choice to paste the columns or just the column derivations when pasting on an output link.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
irshanuddin
Participant

Post by irshanuddin »

Paul, that idea to copy the entire stage did it for me.
Thank you so much!
I am glad it was a simple solution and not tedious copy and paste.
UCDI
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by UCDI »

I feel like I am missing some of these copy/paste tricks.... in the same line of thinking:

Are there also ways to copy job parameters easily (I know I can copy the source job if starting from scratch, but its really hard to take a set from 1 job into another, export import is all I know for that)? And the other one, is there a way to fix a sequence job's target job, to switch from say one version to another, without losing the parameters? (Also fixable with export import as a last resort).
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You should be using Parameter Sets.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
UCDI
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by UCDI »

Just to bundle everything, even if unrelated? I have been using them for related items, but not every single parameter is in one...