Duration for installation of IS11.5

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mouthou
Participant

Duration for installation of IS11.5

Post by mouthou »

Hi

With some plan on installing Information Server 11.5 (primarily for DataStage/Qualitystage/IA with exclusion of ISD and workbench), I would like to check minimum duration it could take to complete the installation. I know there are many pre-requisites and activities it depends, but if everything goes fine please let me know minimum which it takes.

Thanks
rkashyap
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Duration for installation of IS11.5

Post by rkashyap »

What will be the topology?

By installation do you mean length of the entire projects or simply installation of software (after all the prerequisites are done)?
mouthou
Participant

Post by mouthou »

Topology could be a dedicated IS virtualized server (all tiers in one machine) with active-passive mode (not sure if it makes sense).

I meant the duration of the installation of entire IS with most pre-requisites are taken care (though there seems to be a lot)
rkashyap
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rkashyap »

mouthou wrote:I meant the duration of the installation of entire IS with most pre-requisites are taken care (though there seems to be a lot)

Installation/configuration of DataStage involves four steps.
1. Install the prerequisite software required.
2. Configuring prerequisite software and OS environment for InfoSphere DataStage Installation.
3. Install InfoSphere DataStage.
4. Postinstallation tasks.

Provided step #1 and #2 have been taken care of, for a topology where all the tiers are on a single machine, step #3 can be done in a few hours.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I usually estimate 2 to 5 days of install time after planning and architecture has done its job. 2 days gives you time to download, copy, check prereqs and run the install process. If it works first time it is finished in a few hours. If something goes wrong it could take a few days of troubleshooting.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

That matches up with our experience too. The near-final step of the installation wizard where it copies and de-compresses all the files takes around 2 hours. It is all the planning, pre steps, and post steps that take large chunks of time.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
mouthou
Participant

Post by mouthou »

Thanks everyone for your inputs and own experience.