Connector Migration Tool

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

thompsonp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Connector Migration Tool

Post by thompsonp »

I am planning an upgrade from version 8.1 to 11.5
In the 11.5 docs it says paraphrased:

"In this release of InfoSphere Information Server, older stages are removed.
When you upgrade to 11.5 you must migrate jobs that use older stages using the Connector Migration Tool before the upgrade.
The Connector Migration Tool is supported from v8.5. You can run the Connector Migration Tool in version 8.5 to 11.5, after importing jobs."

I am confused by this as it appears contradictory. Does the tool have to be run before the upgrade, or after importing jobs?

If we have a new install of 11.5 on separate hardware can I export from 8.1 then import jobs to 11.5 then run the tool or do I need to move to 8.5 and run the tool before exporting and then importing into 11.5?

Would anyone here who has done a migration from 8.1 to 11.x and used the tool care to comment?

Thanks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sorry, I'm not your question target audience but am willing to make a guess. I'm assuming you could do it either way, depending on your starting version. If you actually have all of the connectors in your older project, you could run the tool before. Failing that where you are moving to a version where the connectors are new in your environment, do it afterwards.

I for one don't see a need for the interim move to 8.5 for this. Having said that, I'm sure someone with actual experience in this process will chime in. Eventually. :wink:

Also read the docs on the differences in the command line version of the tool, one of which is the ability to run a "practice" migration.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

It looks like the doc is trying to say:

1) IF your jobs contain certain old stage types that have been removed from 11.5, THEN you must run the tool against the older version's project.

2) The tool is only supported back to version 8.5. Therefore, it may not work quite right against an older version.

Since the doc is confusing and you are in a gray area, I would suggestion you contact Support for some specific guidance.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
thompsonp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by thompsonp »

IBM support confirmed that the tool only works on 8.5 and above.
Therefore need to move jobs to 8.5 or higher to run tool, then move results to 11.5.
However because v8 is now out of support they recommended going to 9.1 or 9.1.2 (in case their assistance is required), running the migration tool and then going to 11.5.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Thanks for coming back and posting the answer!
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers