Frequent DataStage Designer Hang/Freeze

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

gsbrown
Premium Member
Premium Member

Frequent DataStage Designer Hang/Freeze

Post by gsbrown »

Curious if this is normal or if we have an issue that could be resolved... I've noticed for a while now on our Production IIS 9.2 Linux server when using DataStage Designer it will frequently freeze/hang. I'll be typing a derivation when Designer hangs, then a few seconds later everything I typed quickly types out on the screen (rubberbanding effect). Or I'll click to open a stage and the screen fades/washes out and I get the Windows hourglass for a few seconds before it resumes. It seems to occur every few minutes and the freeze/hangs lasts several seconds. This doesn't happen on our Development/Test IIS 9.2 Linux server, so I'm assuming it's related to the increased activity on the Production server. If I check DSODB now, we have 68 jobs running, 38% CPU and and 40% Memory Usage. I would like to know if this is abnormal or normal? Wanted to get some user feedback before I raised an issue with IBM Support. Thanks!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Are you connecting via a tunnelling protocol, like Citrix?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Not normal!
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
gsbrown
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gsbrown »

ray.wurlod wrote:Are you connecting via a tunnelling protocol, like Citrix? ...
Myself (Client) and the IIS Server are on the same network, no tunneling.
When I watch the "top" command, it's continuous "uvsh" and "sleep" commands at the top of the list. So it may just be our system is busy deal with it. I have wishful thinking I'll get a reply "YES! That happened to us and here's what we did *POOF* problem gone". :wink: Otherwise, I may not spend too much time on it as we're also working on a migration to 11.5 and new hardware later this year.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

qt_ky wrote:Not normal!
Abby... something.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
rkashyap
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rkashyap »

What is the RAM allocation on the client machine? Are DataStage Prod and Dev server located in same Data center?