istool command execution from non Client or Engine Tier.

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

metadatamen
Premium Member
Premium Member

istool command execution from non Client or Engine Tier.

Post by metadatamen »

Is it really possible to install and use only istool on a Linux server without having a complete IIS package installed?

We know it can be done effectively from Client and Engine tier, however we have an use case where we have to execute some istool command regularly from a different linux server which doesn't have IIS installed.

Wondering how else this can be done directly from other servers where no IIS installed instead of bringing the corresponding file to IIS server to just execute this.

I doubt if that's possible but still want to make sure if there are any possibilities that am not aware of. Please advise.
anamika
Participant

Post by anamika »

I don't see why not. istool is one more of those eclipse based plugins/jars.
If you review istool.sh and setupenv.sh which is called from istool.sh and replicate the same execution path, class/jar load path, you should be able to execute istool from just about anywhere.
Make sure you copy all the jars/directories and a compatible JRE and you should be good to go.
If you attempt the same and encounter issues, feel free to post details here.

Update: I tried this on a windows box. Just set all the environment variables to the values in setupenv.bat - this is found in IIS_install_dir/asbnode/bin
And then set all the env vars in istool.bat - found in IIS_install_dir/clients/istools/cli
And then ran the command - "java -jar org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.1.0.v20100507.jar" -help and works fine.

Cheers
ETL, DW, BI Consultant
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

Not sure how this may affect your licensing for the product.

Istool is still part of the Infosphere product and it may have some implication on the $$$ factor. I do not think you can just put in on 1 to 1000 other hosts. You should probably ask IBM before painting yourself into a corner.