View previous topic
Add To Favorites
dukesbrent

Group memberships:
Premium Members

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:51 am Reply with quote    Back to top    

DataStage® Release: 11x
Job Type: Server
We're looking to bring metadata into the Information Governance Catalog (IGC) around our application portfolio, using the existing Application Information Asset type. One question that came up in our discussion was whether we would be able hide certain applications from the general population of IGC users, although the vast majority of them would be displayed.

I know on the Glossary Term side this can be accomplished through the use of Categories, and locking a specific category down to a specific user or group. Given that Information Assets don't have Categories like Glossary Terms do, I'm not seeing where the same functionality exists on the Information Asset side. I have reviewed IBM's documentation on the various IGC roles, and don't seem to be finding anything that leads me to believe this is baked into the model.

Does anyone know of a method that this can be accomplished?

Thanks,
Brent
qt_ky

Group memberships:
Premium Members

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:33 am Reply with quote    Back to top    

I'm not aware of a way either, other than to install an additional instance of IGC on the server with a separate set of users and security roles to administer, repository to backup, etc. Multiple instances of the same version can run at the same time on UNIX/Linux servers, but it's not the norm, there can be some hiccups to work around, and you generally have to do double everything, such as applying rollup patches and upgrades, etc.

Group memberships:
Premium Members

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:01 am Reply with quote    Back to top    

Thanks for sharing that information qt_ky.

I finally heard back from IBM on the PMR that I opened on this subject, and they're confirming that this functionality around Information Assets doesn't currently exist.

The response I got was in part suggesting that the Applications could be captured as Business Glossary terms to take advantage of that security model and also the ability to create custom views. I'm not sold that it's in our best interest to approach adding applications as terms and intermixing with true Business terms though.

Brent
Rate this response:  
Not yet rated

Add To Favorites
View next topic
View previous topic