Encrypted Data

This forum contains ProfileStage posts and now focuses at newer versions Infosphere Information Analyzer.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

rocjr
Participant

Encrypted Data

Post by rocjr »

I am looking for information on how to deal with encrypted data when running a column analysis. The copy of the data I am analyzing contains Non-public information (NPI) that has been encrypted. Can encrypted data even be analyzed? The encryption used is a DB2 encryption. From what I understand the actual data can be accessed once the password is retrieved. Is this sort of thing even possible during a Column Analysis or ultimately should a copy of the decrypted data be analyzed? In my case the table I am analyzing has only 1 column that is encrypted and after a Column Analysis the column status is Cannot Analyze
roc
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Welcome!

I'm sure someone more smarter will be along to expand on this but from playing the home version of this game I would say that you would need to create a virtual table which includes a decrypted version of the column in question in order to perform the column analysis.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard. A decrypted copy of the data should be analyzed.

While, technically, you could perform column analysis on encrypted data, the results (in terms of values, formats, classifications, and even data types) would be unlikely to be meaningful.

And I would warrant that profiling for compliance with data rules would be even less useful were the data encrypted.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

To pick up on Craig's post, an IA virtual table cannot perform decryption. You may be able to create a materialized view or similar, however, and profile that.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ah... gotcha.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
rocjr
Participant

Post by rocjr »

Thank you all for your input, seems I will need to stage this data separately, decrypted, in either in a virtual or temporary table for purposes of analysis. I was hoping for a way to do it on the fly. Thanks again!
roc