Hierarchical Stage parameter issues

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Larz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Hierarchical Stage parameter issues

Post by Larz »

I've been using the hierarchical stage in DS Version 11.3 on a Windows installation. The issue is that while it will let you use job parameters within the hierarchical stage the values that are present at compile time will persist regardless of the values you pass after compilation. My jobs are making a restful API call that requires as input User name, Customer name, password(encrypted) and URL. They were developed with test values in the parms and were working fine, as soon as I tried to call those same jobs using prod values the restful API call fails. The solution is to leave the default values blank which in principle is a better practice anyway. Just wanted to share my findings.

As an aside note if you are working with an .xsd from the schema library and you reload the .xsd as well as changing the document root within the hierarchical stage you will need to rebuild any subsequent XML Parser steps that are using a 'CHUNK' from the initial XML Parser step. This may seem fairly obvious or it may not. In my case applying the document root again, while it did not highlight subsequent XML Parser steps as having an issue, the output did not correctly pull all child rows from the XML document.
Dislexic, Agnostic, Insomniac - lays awake at night wondering if there is a dog.