Data Source Password Change Causing Column Analysis to Fail

This forum contains ProfileStage posts and now focuses at newer versions Infosphere Information Analyzer.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

Nini
Participant

Data Source Password Change Causing Column Analysis to Fail

Post by Nini »

Goal: perform column analysis
Problem: column analysis were running fine until the data source (oracledatabase) password was changed (password change is enforced by the source system)
IA Configuration for updating password:
1) IA version 11.3 is installed on Windows. The data connection that was set up during meta data import was updated on IMAM (via the "reimport" option http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledge ... ction.html- (Once the password is changed, I didn't do any reimport but simply shared the original import to the repository). Attempt to re-run column analysis after this change: failed
2) I then re-added the data source to my Information Analyzer project (delete then add from project properties). This still gave me the same credential mismatch error, but also removed all my previous analysis result.
Error messages that I received in both instances are:
Current Status: After the source database password is changed, all new column analysis failed due to credential mismatches, see errors below:
pxbridge(0): The connector could not establish a connection to data source .... using user ...
pxbridge(0): ODBC function "SQLConnect" reported: SQLSTATE = 28000: Native Error Code = 1,017: Msg = (IBM (DataDirect EOM))][ODBC Oracle Wire Protocol driver][Oracle]ORA-01017: invalid username/passwo (..)
Question: how to update the data connection password in Information Analyzer without doing a brand new import?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Can't you update the password in the Connector you are using to read from source?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
arvind_ds
Participant

Post by arvind_ds »

You need to change the password in the data connection under respective data store in information analyzer.
Arvind
Nini
Participant

Post by Nini »

IBM Orcale Wire Protocol is used as the connector, unfortunately the option to update password is not available directly through this connector
Nini
Participant

Post by Nini »

I tried in Information Analyzer under super user with full privileges: Home -> Metadata Management -> Data Stores -> Tasks -> open details (only option available)
Unfortunately the password field is not available under 'open details'. Is there anywhere else in Information Analyzer that can access the data store password?
rjdickson
Participant

Post by rjdickson »

Hi,

In IMAM, open the import area you previously used and 'reimport'. When you get the data connector screen, you will be able to edit/test the password.

You MAY need to continue with the reimport to make the change 'stick' - please test that and let us know.

Good luck!
Regards,
Robert
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I did one of these last week. You don't have to continue with the re-import. :D
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rjdickson
Participant

Post by rjdickson »

Yay! :D
Regards,
Robert
Nini
Participant

Post by Nini »

ray.wurlod wrote:I did one of these last week. You don't have to continue with the re-import. :D ...
reimport was one of the first things I tried and it didn't work for me - i.e. after editing the password under IMAM-reimport (I didn't share the reimport to the repository as the process takes more than a few hours), the column analysis was still failing due to credentials error :'( I ended up reaching out to the DBA to change my password back. My guess is something went wrong during installation/configuration ... :'( :'(
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

OK, to be precise it worked for me using version 11.3.1.2 with the latest rollup patch for Information Analyzer installed.
Nini
Participant

Post by Nini »

that could be it! I'm using plain vanilla 11.3. Will try the patches as time permits. Current work around is managing passwords manually down at the source database level. Thanks!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Maybe a better workaround would be to use "service accounts" (non-login accounts with non-expiring passwords).