PVU Comparability of AIX vs Linux on 11.3.1 (or any version)

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

AGStafford
Premium Member
Premium Member

PVU Comparability of AIX vs Linux on 11.3.1 (or any version)

Post by AGStafford »

We are in the process of upgrading to 11.3.1 from 8.5 and management has asked us to consider moving from AIX to Linux.
Our server staff has indicated that similar CPU PVU on AIX vs Intel on Linux, the performance of AIX is 1.5 to 2 times faster.

Has anyone else moved from AIX to Linux and noticed performance differences with the same PVU count?

Andrew
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Each type of server and processor is assigned its own PVU rating, so it depends on which hardware you run AIX on vs which hardware you run Linux on. What are your processor types and PVU ratios for each?
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The PVU for AIX is higher than that for Intel/AMD exactly because the POWER processors are more powerful. To get the equivalent processing capability you would need more Intel/AMD cores.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by priyadarshikunal »

Do check the PVU calculator on IBM website on how the PVU calculated per core of different type of processors.
Priyadarshi Kunal

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. :wink:
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
rkashyap
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: PVU Comparability of AIX vs Linux on 11.3.1 (or any vers

Post by rkashyap »

AGStafford wrote:Our server staff has indicated that similar CPU PVU on AIX vs Intel on Linux, the performance of AIX is 1.5 to 2 times faster.
DSXchangers, What are your thoughts on quoted statement?
Pardon my ignorance ... If for same PVU license, an AIX(/RISC) server is 1.5/2 times faster that a Linux server, then most of the DataStage installations would be migrating from Linux to AIX.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

There are too many variables at play, in addition to the OS and the processor type and speed, to say anything meaningful. I think you need a variety of benchmarking jobs that exercise the CPU, memory, disk, network, etc., that represent your typical workload and degree of parallelism, then run each set of jobs on the same data and then compare the results.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Start by getting them to define what they mean by "performance".

Performance in an ETL environment is not about raw cycles/second. There's always heavy demand for memory and I/O to factor in, and the efficiency with which context switching is performed.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rkashyap
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rkashyap »

Agreed ... definition of performance needs to be clarified and there are too many variables at play, but the statement about AIX's performance being 1.5/2 times that of Linux for same PVU licensing, sounds too good to be true.

I feel that even AIX sales reps would be circumspect in making this statement.;-)
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

They may be being simplistic, comparing only the GHz rating of the i386 and the POWER chips.

That is not the same as "performance" except in an extremely restricted sense.
Last edited by ray.wurlod on Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

It boils down to "Is your environment CPU constrained or IO constrained?" I do not factor in memory because that's a very cheap item to purchase and should not be a hinderence to a well maintained environment.

I have found that DS jobs are mostly travaling at the speed of IO.
I have also found that the shops I work(ed) in also tend to favor smaller jobs (20 stages or less).

Thus I tend to prefer Linux Grids for my environments. Mainly because the application teams never know how much they are going to grow their usage.