Need to revoke job level auto pourge for multiple jobs at 1s

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vintipa
Participant

Need to revoke job level auto pourge for multiple jobs at 1s

Post by vintipa »

Hi Experts,

I can see the below code used in a IBM utility which when setup at the administrator console, we can set job level auto purge for all the jobs in a project at once.

" WRITE DRSET:@FM:DAYS:@FM:RUNS ON LOGFILE,"//PURGE.SETTINGS" ELSE STOP 'WRITE ERROR'"
Can anybody know more about this code? I want to modify this code so that I can revoke all the job level auto purge at once using this code.

Anybody makes any sense of this code?

Thanks in advance!
Vinay
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Moved you to the appropriate forum, no clue why this ended up in the 'Enhancement Wish List' forum. Unless you were just making a wish. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Search is your friend, found around 30 other posts on this topic or a variation thereof. For example, this should help:

viewtopic.php?t=106690
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The code snippet you posted changes the purge settings for one job's log file only. To change all jobs you would need to run the same code against every job's log.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vintipa
Participant

Post by vintipa »

Yes Ray,

Exactly, this code changes the auto purge setting of the job. So my query here is
1) I want to understant what this code is.. is it c++ of what?
2) I want to know how can I change this code so that the new code when run on a perticular job, removes the joblevel auto purge and hence project level auto purge becomes active.

In short I want the meaning and use of DRSET, @FM PURGE.SETTING etc.
Please can you help me disect this kind of code so that I can try simple coding myself as mentioned earlier?
Vinay
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It's BASIC.

Did you SEARCH? Check the link I posted? Or are we just waiting for Ray to come back and save the day?
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DRSET is a variable that, presumably, had its value set earlier in your routine.

@FM is a system variable that contains the value of "field mark", the top-level field delimiter in records in hashed files (the local job logs are hashed files).

"//PURGE.SETTINGS" is the record ID of the record in the job log that contains the purge settings.

Why not consult the DataStage BASIC manual or, if you want a learning experience, check out the "Programming with DataStage BASIC" DVD available from the DSXchange Learning Center (www.dsxchange.net)?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I can also ship DSXchange Learning Center DVDs. The price is the same whether shipped from USA or Australia. Postage is included.
vintipa
Participant

Post by vintipa »

Thanks Ray for your help. I will see how it goes.

Hi Craig, yes I am trying out SEARCH aswell, but info is quit random hence will take time for me to make a good sense of this information.
Vinay