Parameter Sets with WS Client stage

Dedicated to DataStage and DataStage TX editions featuring IBM<sup>®</sup> Service-Oriented Architectures.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

hobocamp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Parameter Sets with WS Client stage

Post by hobocamp »

I have a process where I make a web service call to obtain an ID string value, which I then must use as one of the input tags in subsequent web service calls.

I'm trying to accomplish this by using a Parameter Set, where I write the value to the "Value file" within the set. I can see that the value file is being created in the initial job's output. But so far I've had no luck in getting the Parameter Set to be recognized as a variable when attempting to use it as input in subsequent calls.

I'm able to use other (non-parameter set) variables in the WS client, so I was wondering if anyone knows if there are inherent issues in using parameter sets with WS stages.

Thanks in advance.
Tom
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The specified values file is read when the job starts, and is not read again subsequently. You could always introduce something like an Execute Command activity to read the file, followed by a User Variables activity to parse its contents. The user variables would then be available downstream to provide values for your later webservice calls' arguments.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
hobocamp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by hobocamp »

It just seems like the Paremeter Set should work though. I only need to read it at the beginning of the job - just to pass it once, at the beginning of the job, to the web service.

Before moving on I'll keep trying to see if I have something wrong. I can see the value in the file, and that it's set up correctly (ID=123456).
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Is this within one job, or within a sequence? You're right to say that the value of a parameter (within a Parameter Set or not) should be available throughout - in a sequence you can refer to the Job activity properties to get the values of the parameters that were passed to it. If within a job, we'd need to be aware of how you're trying to pass the parameter value to the stages that access the webservice.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
hobocamp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by hobocamp »

Ray -

My process was just a single simple job, designed as such:

WS ClientStage ----> Sequential File Stage

That makes me even more curious as to why the contents of the Value File weren't being recognized within the stage. (In Trace mode, the Soap body showed an empty value for the tag that should have contained the value.)
I've opened a pmr with IBM to see if there are any known issues with using a Parameter Set value file within a WS stage.

In the meantime, I followed your suggestion and created a sequence, where the value is passed as a parameter in a routine step down to a job run step, and that works beautifully.

Thanks again.
Tom