using the COMMON across jobs

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

SIHM
Premium Member
Premium Member

using the COMMON across jobs

Post by SIHM »

I have a job which reads a table into a routine. The routine contains a dynamic array in a common area which stores each column individually for each row.

The common uses the following syntax

Code: Select all

COMMON /x/ a b
This job is called from a job sequence. Once the job has run, I have another routine to read from the dynamic array from the same memory area.

However, when I run the job sequence, it fails to find the data in the dynamic array.

I have tested all of the routines to read and write to the dynamic array by running them in a test job sequence via uservariable routines. e.g.

uv1-> Store Dynamic array routine
uv2-> Get Dynamic array values for a given row.

These work fine.

My question is whether a Common area can be used between a job and a job sequence.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

No. It's meant to persist data across calls to the routine, not across multiple jobs.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can, of course, use the job's User Status area to communicate back to its controlling sequence; contents of the User Status area are available through the $UserStatus activity variable for the Job activity.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
SIHM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by SIHM »

I did think of that but the number of lines stored in the array are unknown. Do you have any idea how much data can be stored in the userstatus variable ?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Unlimited dynamic array size until you run out of memory.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.