64-bit Hash Files

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nvalia
Premium Member
Premium Member

64-bit Hash Files

Post by nvalia »

Hi All,

We migrated from v7.5 on a 32 bit Windows Server to v9.1 on a 64 bit Windows server. We use Server Jobs Only

Post Migration we are having performance degradation in the newer version by almost 40% while I understand a 10% down performance can be expected due to the way Authentication works.
** No Code Changes made during upgrade **

We have done a lot of testing but have not been able to figure out why the same job in 9.1 is so slow compared to 7.5. Have raised a support request with IBM but that is not helping!!!!!

We use a lot of Hashed Files and currently both version have the variable 64BIT_FILES = 0 in the UVCONFIG file. Any chance changing this 64BIT_FILES = 1 in the v9.1 to use 64 bit Hash files instead of 32-bit could help in performance?

Thanks,
NV
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Nope. At least I really don't believe so.

Does your performance hit seem to be related to hashed files reading and/or writing?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Almost definitely not. 64-bit hashed files use 64-bit internal pointers, so take up more space on disk. Otherwise the access mechanism is identical to that for 32-bit hashed files (possibly with more seek activity within the file, which would actually make performance worse).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.