Inserting/Updating hashed file across diff servers

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

saratha14
Participant

Post by saratha14 »

Hello Guru's,

Good morning. I have a tricky situation and please let me know your suggestions.

Issue: Creating/Inserting a record in a hashed file from one server to another server. Datastage is sitting on a UNIX AIX box.

I'm using and updating surrogate key in a hashed file in a QA server and I have the same hashed file in the QA1 server. QA and QA1 are in different unix boxes. My requirement is whenever there is an update in the hashed file in the QA it has to be reflected in the QA1 hashed file.

Can Datastage update/insert be done across server in diff unix boxes.

Thanks,
Saran
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Not that I know of. Perhaps a process to export / transport / import the hashed file contents from one server to another as a post process? I'm assuming this is about more than just simultaneous inserts but rather a need to keep them in total sync, yes?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
saratha14
Participant

Post by saratha14 »

Hi Chulett,

I need keep them in synch at any point in time, becuase there is counter in the hashed file used to create surrogate keys. My goal is to process the load in the two environements at the same time but keeping the keys in synch.

Did I make it clear..?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sure... but it doesn't change my answer that there's no way to do it that I know of. Perhaps Ray or others who are more familiar with the internals and tricky stuffs will know a way.

I think you've taken a bad path here... I would have put the key tracking up in a common database somewhere both could access.
-craig

saratha14
Participant

Post by saratha14 »

:cry: I know, I agree with you and I had the same point in my mind that, to use common file server where the hashed file will be accessed by both the servers. I'm just trying to see, how far we can go.

Thanks a lot anyway. I will keep this thread open for some days.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Note that I specifically said common database table...
-craig

qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

A unix admin can probably mount a common file system on both servers, but I'm not sure if that would actually solve your problem.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

This may or may not work - I can't recall whether UV/Net functionality was incorporated into DataStage.

Try using a pathname in field 2 of the hashed file's VOC entry of the form hostname!pathname.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
saratha14
Participant

Post by saratha14 »

Thanks everyone. I used common unix file server for both the projects to overcome this issue.