Real Time Data Extract from OSI PI

Dedicated to DataStage and DataStage TX editions featuring IBM<sup>®</sup> Service-Oriented Architectures.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

neeraj
Participant

Real Time Data Extract from OSI PI

Post by neeraj »

Hello,

There is a requirement that we need to extract the real time data available in OSI PI system and generate the files which would be used by business for analysis.

We need to extract data after every 20 minutes from the source system i.e. OSI PI.

Request you all to please let me know which option/stage of DataStage, we should use to process the real time data.

Regards
Neeraj
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Every 20 minutes <> real time.

Please get clear exactly what you want to do - capture the data in true real time, near real time, or in batches 20 minutes or so apart.

DataStage can do all of those things, but I don't really feel like writing a major essay at this time.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
neeraj
Participant

Post by neeraj »

Hi,

We can say for the intial release, plan is to get the data near to real time and in the next release it should be real time.

I hope I answer your question.

Regards
neeraj
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

True real-time in the ETL space of DataStage means something very different --- with real time transport vehicles and protocols like message queues, web services, and the like.

If 20 minutes, or even "every 30 seconds" is your objective, first focus on how to get data from this source. Mini-batches will probably be your solution for now, being executed on a timely or even driven basis.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

As Ernie noted, true real time involves additional technologies such as message queues, which are written to at source and read from by "always on" DataStage jobs.

Near real time, or mini-batches, might use changed data capture technologies, with changes being read from (for example) transaction logs and transmitted by some means to DataStage.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.