Code tags problem

Make suggestions regarding the DSX site or the Forum

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rameshrr3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rameshrr3 »

One problem I see with the famous 'Code tags ' is that they are related to the Font type - Courier New , So when i have a different plain text font in my browser - like consolas or lucida typewriter , they dont show up as plaintext . So the webmaster or site manager needs to make sure code tags display as plain text not Courier [ an eyesore of a font :( ]
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

I don't think that it can be done on this version of phbb. This is an ancient version and there aren't a lot of BBCode options. If someone knows how, please let me know!
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Pulled this conversation off into a more appropriate forum.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

The Courier hasn't bothered me too much over the years, although I do prefer Consolas because out of the fonts mentioned it's the only one that actually puts slashes through zeros to distinguish them from letter O... very helpful for code (and passwords).

Another important aspect of code tags is that they are monospaced or fixed-width (vs. delimited :wink: ). You don't want to lose fixed-width by choosing the wrong font or by choosing a font that not everyone has installed. Courier is probably universal. Not sure about Consolas outside of Windows; that would need a bit of research to see what happens on a smart phone, tablet (or Mac).

Someone with site access could update the "code" class in only one place in the main.css file to affect code tags site wide, after testing such a change elsewhere first:

Code: Select all

/* Code blocks */
.code{background:#fafafa;border:1px solid #d1d7dc;color:#006600;
font:11px Courier,"Courier New",sans-serif;padding:5px}
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius