Loading records takes long time:Oracle enterprise stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

RAJARP
Participant

Loading records takes long time:Oracle enterprise stage

Post by RAJARP »

Hi,

We have one parallel job which loads data into an oracle table from a dataset(as designed below)
Dataset-->Transformer---->Oracle Enterprise Stage

The transformer doesn't have any major transformations apart from doing setnull() for a few fields.
This job took 11 hours to load 40 million records into a partitioned table.This table has 250 columns and indexed on 5 columns.

Settings of Oracle enterprise stage:

Code: Select all

Write Method=Load
Write Mode=append

Disable constraints =true

Execution mode is Default(Parallel) in Stage->advanced tab
Also got a warning

APT_ORACLE_LOAD_OPTIONS has been set by user. Therefore, Orchestrate assumes that the DIRECT and/or PARALLEL options have been set to FALSE, and that it is okay to load table 'Schema1.Table',  even though it is indexed, and an index option (rebuild or maintenance)  has not been included. APT_ORACLE_LOAD_OPTIONS has been set by the user to 'OPTIONS (DIRECT=TRUE, PARALLEL=FALSE)'.
What could be the issue here?Is there some setting which can be modified to increase the performance?
Any suggetions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Raja R P
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You can't do a DIRECT (i.e. bulk) load on a table with indexes so it switched to a conventional load - inserts. You would need to add the index options it needs to allow the bulk load to happen.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
SURA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Loading records takes long time:Oracle enterprise stage

Post by SURA »

1) Read the Connectivity Guide for Oracle Databases pdf will give you a good idea.

2) The Connectivity Guide for Oracle Database will guide for APT_ORACLE_LOAD_OPTIONS warning too!

In regards with load performance, i saw in some projects, they will disable the index and get it back once the load is done.

It would be great if you involve you dba and find the best way to do it!
Thanks
Ram
----------------------------------
Revealing your ignorance is fine, because you get a chance to learn.
RAJARP
Participant

Post by RAJARP »

Thanks Craig and Sura,
As Suggested I have added,

Index mode= rebuild
        Add COMPUTE STATISTICS=True
        Add NOLOGGING =True
But still, the job ran for 9.45 hrs(same job completed in 11 hrs without index option ) to load the same number of records.

Actually, In The transformer in between the source and target, I am doing setnull() for 80 columns.

Dataset -->Transformer---->oracle enterprise stage

My question is,Whether doing setnull() for large number of columns is hindering the performance somehow ?

Thanks again,

Raja R P
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Conduct a test. Write your records to a flat file, note the time it takes. Remove all of the 'set null' handling, rerun.

Did you confirm it actually did a BULK load? (DIRECT=TRUE)
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Is there any reason you're not using an Oracle Connector stage? Do some comparitive tests for this also.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
RAJARP
Participant

Post by RAJARP »

Thanks Craig and Ray!!!!

Conduct a test. Write your records to a flat file, note the time it takes. Remove all of the 'set null' handling, rerun.

Did you confirm it actually did a BULK load? (DIRECT=TRUE)

I did this.Not much difference between the two runs( In fact, the job with all setnull() was 3 minutes faster then the other one) And, Yes.It is Direct=True

Is there any reason you're not using an Oracle Connector stage?
I used connector.The time got reduced to 4 hrs 50 minutes.But , when I try 'Write mode =Bulk load' I am getting a error message 'Table or view doesn't exist which is weird because the table is present.

So I am doing only 'write mode = Insert,Table action=append' because of which I am not able to disable the indexes.

Any idea why I am getting the above error message when i try Bulk load??I believe If I could do Bulk load with disabling indexes, the performance might increase??

Thanks again,
Raja R P
RAJARP
Participant

Post by RAJARP »

Hi Gurus,

Any of you had a chance to look at my previous post?Please do reply.

Thanks,
Raja R P