vmcburney

Premium Poster
Participant

Group memberships:
Premium Members, Inner Circle, Australia Usergroup

Post Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:32 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

DataStage® Release: 8x
Job Type: Parallel
Recently I have been doing a lot of testing in Information Server 9.1 of Data Lineage, Business Lineage and Blueprint Director. I would be interested to hear what you have had success with.

1) Data Lineage: one of the key functions of Metadata Workbench is the automated stitching that connects Datastage table and file definitions to databases, BI reports and other DataStage jobs. The end to end lineage. This has an advantage of being the most accurate form of lineage available but with the drawback of requiring good development standards for it to work automatically. Tends to involve technical metadata assets such as ETL jobs, tables and reports. Has the drawback that you need a metadata workbench license to see it so it tends to be a developer/change manager tool.
2) Business Lineage: these are diagrams that are simpler than Data Lineage and are set up by creating Metadata Workbench metadata mappings. Tends to be simpler than data lineage and includes business concepts such as Applications, Files, Tables. Has a drawback in that some of it needs to be manually created and maintained though it does pick up some of the automated stitching. Has the advantage that it can be found in Business Glossary though it tends to be linked to technical assets rather than business terms.
3) Blueprint Director: in version 9.1 you can drag and drop ETL jobs and Metadata Workbench metadata onto a Blueprint diagram and create a design for an information flow and upload that to the Metadata Server where it is available to anyone as a URL and popup diagram. This has advantages that it can add text, boxes and annotations not available in Business Lineage, it can generate a web diagram that has clickable boxes drilling through to technical metadata and methods, it can be linked to Business Glossary business terms and rules. Has the drawback that it is mostly manual to set up and maintain and the original editable diagram sits on a local machine and is not easy to share across a team.

LinkedIn: Vincent McBurney LinkedIn
eostic

Premium Poster

Group memberships:
Premium Members

Post Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:02 am Reply with quote    Back to top    

Good questions/thoughts, Vincent... Some additional details.... Data Lineage includes any and all assets [Extended Data Sources (Applications and others), Database Tables (and their colu ...

blogit!
Open IGC is Here!
Rate this response:  
Not yet rated
qt_ky

Group memberships:
Premium Members

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:46 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

Did anyone ever find uses--creative or otherwise--for Blueprint Director? I noticed it was listed on the IBM License Information documents up through Information Server Enterprise Edition 11.3.1 but is no longer listed for 11.5 or 11.7. When I explored the tool myself, its value was not very clear to me. I was wondering if the Blueprint Director tool was dead on arrival or did anyone actually use it for anything?

asorrell
Site Admin

Group memberships:
Premium Members, DSXchange Team, Inner Circle, Server to Parallel Transition Group

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:56 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

Wow... You really necro'd this dead thread from 2013... and I believe BluePrint Director is dead as well. It is in 11.3, but not visible in 11.5 or later. I never saw an announcement, it just disappeared.

It may just be out of the suite (separate), but I doubt it. Doesn't seem to be anything current on it on the IBM website either, the main page for it was taken down in January, 2018.

Rate this response:  
Not yet rated
qt_ky

Group memberships:
Premium Members

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:40 am Reply with quote    Back to top    

Yep, since there weren't really any other topics about Blueprint Director, I figured the best chance to find out if anyone used it would be to "chime in" on a 5-year old topic with the very few folks who touted it back when it was new-ish.

vmcburney

Premium Poster
Participant

Group memberships:
Premium Members, Inner Circle, Australia Usergroup

Post Posted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:32 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

I loved Blueprint Director as an easy architecture diagram tool however it was in an Eclipse user interface and Information Server is moving everything to web based interface - as shown by the new web interfaces for Information Analyzer and DataStage. So Blueprint Director was quietly dropped and has not yet been replaced.

LinkedIn: Vincent McBurney LinkedIn
Rate this response:  
Not yet rated
qt_ky

Group memberships:
Premium Members

Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:10 am Reply with quote    Back to top    

Thank you for the update on Blueprint Director. May it rest in peace. Perhaps its more useful features will resurface in a web-based tool someday.

Add To Favorites
View next topic
View previous topic