Import parameters and stage variables as if they were tables

Do you have features you'd like to see in future releases of DataStage, MetaStage, Parameter Manager, Version Control or one of the other tools represented on this forum? Post your ideas here!

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Import parameters and stage variables as if they were tables

Post by kduke »

I think stage variables should be imported and exported just as if they were columns in a table. It is very tedious to input these. This could save a lot of time.

The same is true for parameters. If I could import and export the parameters into a job as if they were columns in a table then adding all parameters from one job into another job like a sequence would save a lot of time.

I would also like to edit column names like you can in a transform stage on derivations. Stage variables all start with 'sv'. So if you added above features then I could import all the columns from a table then add 'sv' to the front of each column then have a stage variable for each column in a table. We had this at one customer where we had 3 stage variables for every inbound column. You quickly create this by modifying the original inbound table columns and then importing them into stage variables.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There's always Parameter Sets for the parameters.

Stage variables should be easily do-able. Won't be in 9.1 though, this is only days away from GA.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

The problem with parameter sets is you have to build them one at a time. A lot of time I need a parameter that will be used in a SQL statement so it needs to be the same type. So if I need a date range then I want to use the table column and then change the name. So I can quickly build it.
Mamu Kim