Oracle GoldenGate and DataStage

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

ASU_ETL_DEV
Premium Member
Premium Member

Oracle GoldenGate and DataStage

Post by ASU_ETL_DEV »

Hello,
I would be curious to know whether anybody has worked on an installation where Oracle GoldenGate was used as CDC tool to push changes to DataStage for transformation and loading, and what comments they might have on this solution.

Thank you.
ASU Developer
djwagner
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Oracle GoldenGate and DataStage

Post by djwagner »

We are investigating the same. Does anyone have an experience with this?
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

DataStage has very good integration with InfoSphere CDC (formerly DataMirror) and you will find it is a hell of a lot cheaper to use this product combination than GoldenGate due to IBM's special pricing. With CDC for DataStage (called CDD by IBM) then you can have unlimited source databases whereas under the GoldenGate pricing you have to pay for every source. InfoSphere CDC does the same thing as GoldenGate and has a much better UI for managing table subscriptions. CDC also has a DataStage stage so you can share data with DataStage in memory in real time.

If you have to use GoldenGate with DataStage then probably the best design is to get GoldenGate to stage the data to a database table and use DataStage to read from that table. You might also be able to get GoldenGate to pass the data to some type of message queue or ESB and get DataStage to read from that. I don't know of any way to get GoldenGate to share data in memory with any ETL tool and I don't think it has ETL Guaranteed Data Delivery that you get from InfoSphere CDC+DataStage where a DataStage job that aborts can be restarted and process data from where is left off.