Datastage App using API

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

swades
Premium Member
Premium Member

Datastage App using API

Post by swades »

Hello,
Is it possible to develop App (in iOS or Android) using DataStage API ? I know it might be questionable whether its worth or not from ROI perspective. but may be with limited functionality like, checking job status, start and stop job. basic admin tasks etc.

Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Should be.

There was a browser-based Director client available in the mid 7.x releases, but they dropped this idea for no given reason.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Isn't the new operations console browser based? It would look good on an iPad but may be hard to read on a phone. I think it's a good idea to build one.
SURA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by SURA »

I used to RDP from my ipad and then run / check the job.
Thanks
Ram
----------------------------------
Revealing your ignorance is fine, because you get a chance to learn.
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

You can also use RTI's Job Control Web Service which exposes the DataStage API to build your application. I have a JSF application using this Web Service to display job's status, rerun job, etc. from any mobile device. However, this Job Control Web Service is no longer available from V8.x and forward. But I found that all required .jar files for this service are still there in V8.x, so I am still trying to tweak to make it work in V8.x environment.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I seem to recall our Kim Duke built a tool for web-based monitoring, wonder if he's kept it up to date? Ah, check here for DSWebMon. Tested up through version 7 it would seem...
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Great idea. I did hear about using Director from a "PDA" way back before smart phones. I think capability existed but may have been in beta and never released (?).

8.7 does have the web-based DataStage Operations Console. I have not tried accessing it from my Android yet. Not sure it's possible given VPNs but will have to explore it. It is read-only, so while it gives great info, it does not allow one to run/stop/reset jobs.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

...thanks for the memories, lstsaur! Indeed, RTI in production offered a WSDL that basically wrapped the classic Job Control API.

Accessing the new Ops Console remotely from my BB is one I haven't tried........don't know what kinds of browser requirements it has. I'll have to put that one on the list of things to experiment with. Good idea.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>