Viewing BG Terms from Cognos

This forum is the beginning of our inclusion of Cognos users to have their own place to go within our community. It is said the ETL and BI don't intersect, but as IBM integrates their platforms, there are less lines of demarcation between the two.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

U
Participant

Viewing BG Terms from Cognos

Post by U »

Information Center wrote:IBM Cognos Business Intelligence provides capabilities and information that businesses need to manage their performance. If you have IBM Cognos Business Intelligence 8 or IBM Cognos Business Intelligence 10 and InfoSphere Business Glossary or InfoSphere Business Glossary for Cognos installed, you can view glossary content from directly within the IBM Cognos Business Intelligence interface.
Does anyone know how to configure this? In particular is there anything that has to be set up in Cognos so that it knows the location of the services tier for Business Glossary? I have scrutinized the Business Glossary Admin manual thoroughly, and searched Information Center, but without any luck,

Also, does this functionality require Cognos 10 or will it work with Cognos 8.4?

Thank you for your time.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

I don't have Cognos, but I know to search Cognos docs rather than BG docs for this answer. Try this link as it has steps for Cognos 10:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocente ... ssary.html

U can try searching the Cognos 8 info center on "Business Glossary" too.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

It's configured from Cognos, not from Business Glossary. You need to find the right Cognos admin settings screen and enter the Glossary URI. It works for Cognos 8.4 and Cognos 10.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

U can do it!

I always wanted to say that... :lol:
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I would imagine that the appropriate Glossary URI would be http://hostname:9080/bg (or some subset thereof) but, presumably, you also need to configure Cognos with a user name and password. Maybe the hostname and port number are configured with separate properties. Not really my area of expertise.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ray.wurlod
Participant

A little bit of research later...

Post by ray.wurlod »

The first URL is the Information Center for IBM Cognos BI version 8.4.
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocente ... /index.jsp

Execute a Search for "Business Glossary" - a number of links of varying usefulness will appear on the left-hand side.

The second URL is the instructions for configuring Cognos to specify the URI of the Glossary Web page.
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocente ... s_Glossary

Steps
  • In IBM Cognos Connection, click Launch, IBM Cognos Administration.

On the Status tab, click System.

Click the arrow next to System to display the Actions menu, and then click Set Properties.

Click the Settings tab.
    • All terms that contain the keyword specified in the search are returned.
    Click OK.

You can access the glossary from any of the following data objects in Report Studio, Query Studio, and Analysis Studio:
Query subject
Query item
Measure
Dimension
Hierarchy
Level
Property/attribute
Top node member
Level item

Example: Accessing Business Glossary from Cognos Viewer
  • Open an HTML report or report view in Cognos Viewer.

Right-click the data item you want, and click Glossary.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
U
Participant

Post by U »

Thank you all, I will pass that information to our Cognos team and let you know the outcome. It may take some time - they say they're extremely busy. (But, then, it was them who demanded to know this information. :roll: )