Business Glossary 8.7 CSV import & special characters

This forum is in support of all issues about Data Quality regarding DataStage and other strategies.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Business Glossary 8.7 CSV import & special characters

Post by qt_ky »

Has anyone encountered issues with the Business Glossary 8.7 (or any other version) of CSV import & special characters?

For example, a category or term may have leading or trailing spaces when coming from Excel. Import works once you have the correct file layout. Go into BG and in the IE title bar and in the IE tab window title, I find squares in place of spaces.

I was hoping the CSV import process would have some intelligence built in, to strip off leading and trailing whitespace. Based on past DataStage work, I suspect they're not really spaces. Could it be some character set problem? Forgive my Windows ignorance, but how can I confirm actual character values on Windows without sending the file to a UNIX server and running commands like od -x?

Likewise, a definition contains an apostrophe. BG displays a square in it's place also.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

The problem is usually caused by Excel that replaces a straight ASCII apostrophe with a curly apostrophe as one of the MS Office auto formatting options. Business Glossary does not like rich text so those characters cause problems during import. You can do some search and replace in Excel to get rid of them but the BG import cannot handle them so replaces them with square.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

This works for Metadata Asset Manager; it may also work for Business Glossary imports.

Create a file called admin.properties containing the following four lines.

Code: Select all

mmi.admin.invalidIdentities.autoClean.precedingWhiteSpace=true
mmi.admin.invalidIdentities.autoClean.trailingWhiteSpace=true
mmi.admin.invalidIdentities.autoClean.consecutiveWhiteSpace=true
mmi.admin.invalidIdentities.autoClean.unprintableCharacters=true
Place the file in the .../IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/profiles/InfoSphere/classes/ directory.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Thanks for the tips. I will try those.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius