Starting a job from PC

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

danddmrs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Starting a job from PC

Post by danddmrs »

Attempting to set up a user with capability to start a DS job from a PC that does not have the DataStage client installed. Copied DSJOB.exe, dsclnt32.dll, and dsrpc32.dll to the PC but message received is 'Access is denied'.
Is this because the user is not defined to the project on the DS server?
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Probably yes.
What is the full error message?
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What is the full syntax of the dsjob command that you are issuing? In particular does it include -user and -password options?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
danddmrs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by danddmrs »

Thanks for replies, here is the command...

call \\LMDSTAGE1T.AAMHC.LOCAL\E$\Ascential\DataStage\Engine\bin\DSJOB -server lmdstage1t -run -jobstatus -param "OODServer=DUNFIK" -param "OODUserId=etl_dunfik" PeopleSoft UNFI_Allocation_SEQUENCER_InterUnit
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I thought you said you'd copied dsjob executable and its dlls. Why are you using call ?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
danddmrs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by danddmrs »

Started with a command file used to start a DS job from the Zeke scheduler.

If I use the following I think it will want -user and -password for access to the DataStage server. Since the users don't have access to the DS servers they would need a user/password combo that would allow them access to start jobs. Our DS Admin won't give them access because they would need Admin privleges on the server (his take). I would think operator access would be sufficient to start a job.

C:\dsjob.exe -server lmdstage1t -run -jobstatus -param "OODServer=DUNFIK" -param "OODUserId=etl_dunfik" PeopleSoft UNFI_Allocation_SEQUENCER_InterUnit
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Stick with a simple solution... Install the user-friendly DataStage Director client for those users and just like you said, the admin can grant the operator role for the new users so they can run jobs in a supported manner. No admin privileges required!
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius