portability of jobs using Web Service Client

Dedicated to DataStage and DataStage TX editions featuring IBM<sup>®</sup> Service-Oriented Architectures.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

lmoose1
Premium Member
Premium Member

portability of jobs using Web Service Client

Post by lmoose1 »

We have begun developing jobs to retrieve data via a web service and send it onward. Several are using a web service as a source -- the jobs look like this:

Web Services Client stage --> XML Input stage --> onward to a transformer or file or database or wherever

I am interested in what others have done to enable portability from development through the intermediate phases and into production installation.

For development, the WSDL was imported and appropriately references the development environment for the web services.

However, when those DataStage WSC jobs are promoted form the dev DataStage project to the system testing, the web services will need to point the systest web service environment. Likewise, when we install the DataStage jobs into production, the web services will need to point to the prod web service env.

I need to avoid any requirement to reimport the WSDL at each promotion phase. I've thought of a couple of ideas but all are more cumbersome than I want.

How have others addressed this?
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

...I haven't tried this in awhile, but the "endpoint" property in the advanced tab of the WS Stage is paramaterizable --- meaning that you could just change the endpoint and the service will be invoked wherever it might be, even if the WSDL originally came from elsewhere.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

...let's hope that your namespaces and other details of the service don't change.
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
lmoose1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by lmoose1 »

Thanks -- that's the angle I was thinkging of, also. I tried it this morning and verified that it works. Terrific! And I double checked -- our namespace info does not look like it is host specific so I don't expect it to change. If the other details change when we go to production...then someone is developing in production... So I'll be sure to communicate that it all needs to be the same in the web service world across all environments. Thanks so much!!!
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

congrats! ..and thanks for the follow-up verification.
Ernie Ostic

blogit!