Limiting Business Glossary Author Role

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

ray.wurlod
Participant

Limiting Business Glossary Author Role

Post by ray.wurlod »

Is it possible to change the Business Glossary Author role to prevent them from creating Categories?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

I haven't tried exactly this, Ray, but in 8.7 you can limit access to Categories by user, and then establish Workflow and simply never approve or authorize new categories that an Author might accidentally create (ie...they'll stay in draft). ...then remove them from Draft.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

eostic wrote:I haven't tried exactly this, Ray, but in 8.7 you can limit access to Categories by user, and then establish Workflow and simply never approve or authorize new categories that an Author might accidentally create (ie...they'll stay in draft). ...then remove them from Draft.

Ernie
Which raises the interesting question - can someone with Author role create a category in the development glossary? We're a couple of days off installing, so I can't answer that immediately.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Version 8.7 has the same levels of authorisation as 8.5 so you can define an Administrator, Author or User but you cannot do much on rights within each level. An Author can add or delete any category unless you hide the category from them. It's not the safest model as an Author may accidentally remove or move the wrong category. It would be good to have a type of author who can only change term descriptions and cannot do anything to categories.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Actually it's much better in 8.7.

There are two glossaries - the development glossary and the published glossary - if you choose to enable the workflow feature. Straight away you've got better governance.

On top of that there are new roles within BG: Editor (who can change things) and Publisher (who can move them into the published glossary).

And, it turns out, you CAN keep Authors out of particular Categories in the development glossary.

I'm about to install it "for real" (at a customer site).