DataStage Editions - SOA or Add on Pack

Dedicated to DataStage and DataStage TX editions featuring IBM<sup>®</sup> Service-Oriented Architectures.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

thompsonp
Premium Member
Premium Member

DataStage Editions - SOA or Add on Pack

Post by thompsonp »

I am working on a project where the client already has DataStage Enterprise Edition (EE).

A new project has some near real time requirements and is thinking that in future they may have actual real time requirements. It would continue to have a batch processing element as well.

The near real time element consists of MQ messages which I anticipated being dealt with by having (EE) jobs always running that pull messages off the queue using the MQ Connector.

My understanding (having never used it) of the Web Services Pack is that this allows Server jobs, but not parallel jobs, to call a Web Service.

Am I correct in thinking that the SOA Edition allows us to do everything we can do with (EE) as well as expose jobs as a Web Service and therefore offer a real time capability?

Is SOA a completely different install or is it merely licensing that enables these features. In other words could it be added / turned on in our existing (EE) installation?
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

The Web Services stages, which allow DataStage to invoke a basic Web Service (to be a SOAP based Web Service client) are available in both Server and EE Jobs, and have been since their inception in the 7.x timeframe.

Deploying DataStage Jobs (again, Server or EE) "as" a Service requires a license for Information Services Director (ISD), which has to have been installed at the Information Server instance that controls your DataStage engine.

"DataStage SOA Edition" is a description that is no longer used ...but it described the same basic technology as ISD but for a 7.x DataStage configuration...

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>