DS 8.5 Server Manager Migration to Production

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

AGStafford
Premium Member
Premium Member

DS 8.5 Server Manager Migration to Production

Post by AGStafford »

I have been working with InfoSphere Information Server Manager (ISM) which connects with MicroSoft Team Foundation Server (TFS) via the Eclipse plugin.

I have read the documentation for Information Server Manager and it seems that I can use TFS to store source, but I cannot use it to migrate to other environments (Qa, Prod). For migration I use the Packaging functionality in ISM to perform the promotion.

So a picture appears to be

Code: Select all

Dev <--> eclipse <--> TFS
 |
 V
ISM
 |  \
 V  V
Qa  Prod
What I would like is:

Code: Select all

|
                       V
                      Qa
                       |
                       V
                      Prod
Is that even possible?

It seems to me that ISM has 2 different aspects.
1) Store source in TFS (or other source code tool)
2) Promote to other domains/projects

These seem, at best, vaguely related.
Am I wrong or missing something?

Andrew
hsahay
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by hsahay »

hi

I am looking to do what you are doing. We have not yet fully migrated to 8.1. Our DEV and PROD environment is still 7.5 but QA, UAT and IT have been migrated to 8.1

So we use version control to save the source and ISM packages to deploy to other 8.1 environments.

Now I have been asked to use the eclipse plugin to connect to TFS so that we can use the source control there.

If you don't mind can you please let me know exactly how i can configure ISM to connect to TFS ? I have been googling all over the place but have not been able to find anything. Also, your current work flow from saving a job into source control to deploying it using packages ...?
vishal
AGStafford
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by AGStafford »

vishal

I am in a new environment and we are just starting to get to the point where we use the process I identified in my first diagram. At this point I am not sure how well it will work for real.
I am hoping it will work well, but it definitely is not the way I would like it to.

To setup TFS, in Visual Studio you need to setup (if not already) a Team Foundation Server and then create a local workspace on your computer.

Once that is done, when you go into ISM and right click on a Domain you should be able to select a "Integrate Source Control..." option. You will need to define the Domain, then Select the Repository type (TFS) on the Share Project window, then Share Location which will point to a folder in the TFS workspace. Follow the windows guides and everything should be setup. I am not particularily familiar with the TFS, but if ISM and TFS are setup properly it seems relatively painless.

Good luck.
Andrew
narsingrp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by narsingrp »

Andrew,
We are using 8.5 on Windows. I was able to integrate DataStage with MicroSoft Team Foundation Server (TFS) using the Eclipse plugin for TFS.This post helped me a lot in setting up. The checkin & checkout works fine but I noticed samething as you said, the migrations can be done only using Packaging functionality in ISM to perform the promotions but not from TFS source control.

|
V
ISM
| \
V V
Qa Prod

This looks as limitation to me. Can we deploy particular version only using packaging functionality? How to know which version is deployed to PROD etc? Is there a way to automate the builds? Actually we are still in development and not migrated to PROD yet but planning to move to Linux.Does this ISM-to-TFS source control setup still works if we move to Linux?
narsingrp
chku
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by chku »

Can anyone share or point to the thread(s) as from where to download the eclipse plug-in for TFS and steps need to be followed to integrate with TFS?

We are using DS 8.5 on windows 2008 R2 (still in development) No prod yet.
marcelo_almeida
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by marcelo_almeida »

Andrew,

I'm also trying to use the InfoSphere Information Server Manager to move jobs between dev and prod environments and how you reported in your post, I'm not able to do.
You get it?

Thank you!
Marcelo Almeida
antoniomarcelo@gmail.com
Brazil