What is the exact WISD used for?

Dedicated to DataStage and DataStage TX editions featuring IBM<sup>®</sup> Service-Oriented Architectures.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

abhinavsuri
Premium Member
Premium Member

What is the exact WISD used for?

Post by abhinavsuri »

Our current project requires real time processing of xml data to a target database. However, due to various constraints outside the ETL process we have an inherent batch process which processes data every 5-10 mins.

I want to propose a better solution wherein we can achieve streaming of data using WISD/MQ series. I am aware of MQ series but have very little understanding of Webservices/WISD.
Now comes my actual question.
- Can WISD (in conjunction with XML stages) be used to process a stream of XML files coming from the source? or does it have to use MQ series as well?
From the reading I have done, it seems as if WISD is only a mechanism for triggering the job(or rather having an always on job) but will not be able to actually receive the XML.
I understand that I will need to have a job with MQ stage as source to read the xml and pass it to an XML input stage for parsing. This job will also have to be deployed as a WISD job so that it can parse the xml's as they arrive in the Middleware que.

Any information on the above would be highly appreciated.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

WISD (now ISD) is much more than just for controlling Jobs.....it most certainly can be used for processing XML "in stream" in real-time....kind of like you might do with MQ as a source and a target. What makes ISD unique is that it does all the "plumbing" work for you when you are using an industry standard SOA protocol such as REST or SOAP based Web Services, or JMS.

What is the particular goal you have in mind....real-time transformation with DataStage/QualityStage can be achieved in numerous ways, with ISD being one of them.....

Ernie

(see my blog below ...go to the table of contents and the last section, which has info on ISD in particular).
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>