Link Naming Standard

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

karthi_gana
Premium Member
Premium Member

Link Naming Standard

Post by karthi_gana »

All,

I would like to know the DataStage naming standard for the links as well as for the stages. Is there any document available?

Can anybody refer some useful links or documents?
Karthik
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DataStage names links Link_n where n is the order that the object was added to the design. You can call links whatever you like, provided that the name begins with a letter and contains only letters and underscore characters. There's probably a name length limit too.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
karthi_gana
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by karthi_gana »

ray.wurlod wrote:You can call links whatever you like, provided that the name begins with a letter and contains only letters and underscore characters. There's probably a name length limit too.
is there any predefined standard available to name the link?

say for example,

procdure should atart with pr_<name>
Trigger should start with tr_<name>

we follow the above standard while writing a SP or Trigger. i just want to know is there any IBM standard available for naming ? or we can decide for ourself?
Karthik
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

So far almost every project that I've worked on has created a set of standard naming rules for everything from links and stages to variables and parameters.

No two projects have had the same rules, and only a few have had rules similar to another project.
mk_ds09
Participant

Post by mk_ds09 »

There is no standard as such, however the name should reflect what exactly the purpose of that link..

Suppose you are reading from any database stage

Link name could be :-

L_TableName
L_TableName

For Sort Stage

L_DataSort

It also depends on your projects, however these linknames should be consistent throughout the project and can give readbility to the other user that what kind of data is flowing through the link..

Hope this helps !
-----------------------------------
Regards
MK

What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?

-----------------------------------
wernerg_at
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Datastage Link Naming Standard

Post by wernerg_at »

karthi_gana wrote:All,

I would like to know the Datastage naming standard for the links as well as for the stages. is there any document available?

can anybody refer some useful links or documents?
I think the following ibm redbook is a good thing to start with. It was published this summer and was updated recently (september). It covers almost all parts/components of datastage and its repository that might be affected if you plan to implement naming standards.

InfoSphere DataStage Parallel Framework Standard Practices
Pasted from http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/s ... .html?Open

BR

Werner
FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

We use acronym-like designations for stages, and name them with all-uppercase letters. Links carry that designation on the output side of the stages, and we name them with all-lowercase letters.

An example: FTP input stage "FTPR_SALES_DATA", with an output link named "ftpo_sales_data". An Oracle input stage would start with "ORAR_", "R" for "read".

If nothing else, if you use Designer reports at all for documentation, it makes them a bit easier to read.
Franklin Evans
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy." -- Spider Robinson

Using mainframe data FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=143596 Using CFF FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=157872
jcthornton
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jcthornton »

I'll echo what has been said above: there are many, many, many different naming standards that can be used for links and stages. The best ones are internally consistent, easy to read (on the canvas, in the log, and in reports), and forbid duplicate link names within a single job.

I've seen a wide variety of standards, and they can all work fine - as long as all the developers on the project use the same standard. It is also helpful if this standard is set up front (and spelled out in a document all developers have read access to and which they are required to read when they join the project. This document should have a lot more than naming standards in it, but that is a topic for a different thread) before any development starts.
Jack Thornton
----------------
Spectacular achievement is always preceded by spectacular preparation - Robert H. Schuller
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The great thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.

Q: How many Microsoft engineers does it take to change a light bulb?
A: None. They simply define a new standard called "darkness".
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

A standard is what is used barely enough such that the developers who come later can clearly see where it was not used.

I started out in the COBOL world 20 years ago, and I will pompously and arrogantly assert that you guys have it easy by comparison. :lol:
Franklin Evans
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy." -- Spider Robinson

Using mainframe data FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=143596 Using CFF FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=157872
jcthornton
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jcthornton »

Don't work FranklinE,

Your secret is safe with me. But I will agree that COBOL has its own set of challenges and quirks.
A standard is what is used barely enough such that the developers who come later can clearly see where it was not used.
I'll offer a corollary to your statement:
A standard is only a standard when it is enforced.
Jack Thornton
----------------
Spectacular achievement is always preceded by spectacular preparation - Robert H. Schuller
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

One of the few good aspects to working in Defence is that enforcement of standards is not a problem. At least once the standards have been established and everyone has agreed that they're the right ones to use! But that's done up front, so it's all good.