DSXchange: DataStage and IBM Websphere Data Integration Forum
View next topic
View previous topic
Add To Favorites
Ultramundane
Participant

Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:33 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

Please extend datastage parameters to allow them to be the result of some function. That is, allow for functions to be used as part of the parameters default value.
kris007

since March 2006

Group memberships:
Premium Members

Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:16 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

This can currently be achieved in Job Sequences within the Job Activity Stage where you can use Functions.

Where's the "Any" key?-Homer Simpson
Rate this response:  
Not yet rated
Ultramundane
Participant

Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:19 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, I am aware of that, but I'm looking for it to be simpler. Wink

I guess, I WISH that I could be able to do this in the main job.
Rate this response:  
Not yet rated
ray.wurlod

Premium Poster
Participant

Group memberships:
Premium Members, Inner Circle, Australia Usergroup, Server to Parallel Transition Group

Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:32 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

You can "sort of" achieve this with stage variables in a Transformer stage early in the job.

Not yet rated
Sainath.Srinivasan

Premium Poster
Participant

Group memberships:
Heartland Usergroup

Post Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:52 am Reply with quote    Back to top    

You can store your parameters into a dbms table and extract the relevant parameters prior to the run. Some of these may be functions which can be translated by your dbms into appropriate constants during this extraction phase.

This is a method I tried successfully some time ago as this gives ease of maintenance and acts as a central repository.

Also have tried storing as a separate param file from which your your jobs can read their params. This may also contain function which can be translated during read.
Rate this response:  
Not yet rated
ray.wurlod

Premium Poster
Participant

Group memberships:
Premium Members, Inner Circle, Australia Usergroup, Server to Parallel Transition Group

Post Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:40 am Reply with quote    Back to top    

Sainath, I think Ryan is looking for something entirely containable within a job.

Not yet rated
Ultramundane
Participant

Post Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:36 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

Yeah, I would like it be to contained within the job. I also like your suggestion. It is pretty brilliant and works for a lot of jobs, but not all. It is great for dyanmic Where clauses.

Thanks.
Rate this response:  
Not yet rated
Ultramundane
Participant

Post Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:19 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

What I am specifically looking for within DataStage and within DataStage jobs:

I would like to see functions to be able to be used on the input values and also against the default values(basically just input). The simplest solution that is user friendly and that also helps promotes datastage (IMHO), is to have both “input parameters” (what we have today) and also “computed parameters”.

Thus, I would like datastage to have two types of parameters for a job, input parameters (which are there today) and computed parameters.

Computed parameters can use functions, the input parameters, etc…, to derive a result to be stored into a computed parameter. In addition, computed parameters can be used in the job just like input parameters.

I hope this makes sense and I believe it adds extremely valuable functionality to DataStage.

Thanks,
Ryan
Rate this response:  
Not yet rated
ray.wurlod

Premium Poster
Participant

Group memberships:

Post Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:28 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

Ah. I suspect IBM's response will be that you can use stage variables in a Transformer stage early in the job to effect what you describe as "computed parameters" - simply putting these values onto an output link makes them accessible downstream. A stage variable that has an initialization expression but no derivation expression does not generate any per-row processing overhead.

Not yet rated
Ultramundane
Participant

Post Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:57 pm Reply with quote    Back to top    

Correct, but I don't believe this gives me access to use this input data as properties within the stages themselves. For instance, for setting Dynamic instances names via a computed lookup, or doing a computed lookup to set or change the transaction size, or for doing computed filenames for both source and target sequential file stages or datasets. Maybe it does though and I am missing something. If it does, and I am missing something, I'd like to know what I am missing, however though, maybe it still makes sense for such a capability to exist as it might streamline this entire process. I guess I think the solution I am proposing is much more straightforward and user friendly. ???
Rate this response:  
Not yet rated
ray.wurlod

Premium Poster
Participant

Group memberships:

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:05 am Reply with quote    Back to top    

OK, I now see the bigger picture. Still don't like your chances of getting this one through (it can be done in a sequence) but, if you don't ask you might die wondering!

Not yet rated

Add To Favorites
View next topic
View previous topic