Debugging: Add Peek without redoing links

Do you have features you'd like to see in future releases of DataStage, MetaStage, Parameter Manager, Version Control or one of the other tools represented on this forum? Post your ideas here!

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

jcthornton
Premium Member
Premium Member

Debugging: Add Peek without redoing links

Post by jcthornton »

One of the frustrations that I encounter when doing debugging/troubleshooting is adding Peeks onto existing links.

Depending on what stages are on the end of a link that you want to add a peek to - especially if you make changes in a less than optimal order - it can require redoing a lot of work [and can introduce errors of its own].

My preferred solutions:
1. Make 'peek' a link property that can be turned on/off via a right click menu item or on the output link tab from a stage. Give the link an icon (or color) that indicates the peek is turned on so we have a visual way to identify that no peeks are left on when done troubleshooting.
2. Be able to drop a peek on a link and have DS split the link for you (will require more work when removing the peek, but still better than now)
Jack Thornton
----------------
Spectacular achievement is always preceded by spectacular preparation - Robert H. Schuller
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

"Compile in trace mode" creates a version of the job with a Peek on every link and the ability to run only a small sample of rows through the job design, without your needing to touch the design at all.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
jcthornton
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jcthornton »

Thanks Ray. That is useful.

My original thinking was about working on a monstrosity (100+ stages and constrained not to split it into smaller jobs) only want a peek on a small subset of the links - maybe even just 1 or 2.

A second scenario came into my head where this idea would also be useful:
Dealing with environment controls that will not allow you to compile is trace mode - but you can have a job imported and compiled normally....? [and yes - think of any dastardly scenario you want, but I'm thinking about a copy of a job to be imported into a production environment where developers have properly been prevented from editing and compiling code themselves]

I realize the second scenario can be dealt with via a Human Solution, but we all have experience where the best solution is blocked by policy and inflexibility.
Jack Thornton
----------------
Spectacular achievement is always preceded by spectacular preparation - Robert H. Schuller
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Umm... compile in trace mode and import THAT into production?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.