Identifying Long Running Jobs

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

paranoid
Premium Member
Premium Member

Identifying Long Running Jobs

Post by paranoid »

Hi,

Is there any one to identify long running jobs or run-time of the DS jobs using a command or using DS Administrator?

That would really help me out!! :)

Thanks

Sue
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You use Director for this. Status is Running (you can filter this) and sort by start time.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Start storing job run time information with EtlStats. It is free.
Mamu Kim
paranoid
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by paranoid »

Ray,

I have been doing that in director whenever i need to check the status of a particular job manually. I am looing for something that can be automated.

Duke, I will try ETL STATS and update this post.

Thanks

Sue
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Are you looking to do this identification after the fact or as the jobs are running? Regardless, trying to determine how long is 'too long' is not always a simple task.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
paranoid
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by paranoid »

Chulett,

I would to like to do this identification after the fact immediately after every load on a day-to-day basis so that i can collect the statistics for few days and observe the performance of the job.

Thanks

Sue
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

OK, for the 'collect the stats after each job run' approach, ETLStats gives you a huge leg-up there.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
tagnihotri
Participant

Post by tagnihotri »

The way I have achieved this is, by writing the start time of each job at the start of job and then keep on checking the elapsed time from this log file and if a job is running more than expected*, an alert is raised. Also, I am currently running the jobs using UNIX scripts, but then the initial implementation was done using before and after job routines.

*Have stored the average time or acceptable wait time for each job in another file, which can then act as the acceptable time limit for comparison.
Cheers,
BA
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

EtlStats can get all the jobs stats for the last time a job was run. When it asks for job name then just put all in there and it will get every job's last run. It stores elapsed time in a table, so it is easy to sort by this. If you run daily then just get all the job runs the next morning.
Mamu Kim