Invoke JCL through Datastage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Invoke JCL through Datastage

Post by ag_ram »

Hi,

I am using Datastage EE v8.0.1 on AIX. Can you please let me know if we can invoke a JCL through datastage job, sequencer or UNIX script.

Thanks.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Assuming that the JCL is on a mainframe, almost certainly not. On the other hand, if you are using EE MVS edition, then you can edit the JCL templates therein so that they can invoke other JCL after the generated JCL has been transferred to the mainframe. But that transfer is not effected under DataStage control.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

Thanks Ray!
aartlett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by aartlett »

You can invoke JCl on a mainframe by FTP'ing it to a particular service on the Mainframe.The Sysadmins of the mainframe should be able to help. I've not done it from Datastage but had written a Java program a while ago to do it. The guts of it was a simple FTP to the Mainframe and then executing it, much the same as you would to invoke a script on a remote unix box.

I can't recall the exact procedure (it was 10 years ago) but I may be able to dig out the Java commands I used.

I would suggest you talk to the Sysadmins first as they may have procedures already in place.
Andrew

Think outside the Datastage you work in.

There is no True Way, but there are true ways.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Don't forget to allow about 2 years to overcome the politics involved in executing (becoming allowed to execute) "foreign" code on "their" mainframe! Expect to have to walk through your code no fewer than five times.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
bobyon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bobyon »

Are you creating the JCL statements with DataStage, or just need to execute an existing job? If the latter, have you considered using a mainframe job scheduler such as CA7 or Zeke. You should be able to trigger the execution of a JCL job upon the successful completion of your DataStage job; assuming it was originally executed via JCL on the mainframe.

If that concept has promise for you, let me know and I can try to explain the technique more fully.
Bob
cppwiz
Participant

Post by cppwiz »

Tell the mainframe admins you want to FTP the JCL into the JES spooler. It's fairly common and once you get through the bureaucracy it works well.
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Worked in mainframe env. for the past 30 years, this is the first time I have heard the "mainframe admins". Who are they?
aartlett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by aartlett »

cppwiz wrote:Tell the mainframe admins you want to FTP the JCL into the JES spooler.
That's the service I was thinking of :), thanks Cppwiz for remembering it, saved me unarchiving and digging in my old code.

This is the easiest way to do it. You must remember to set the transfer mode to ascii (not binary) so that it will convert your ascii 7bit/8bit to EBCDIC that the mainframe uses, other than that it is very straight forward. Have a Mainframe guy check you JCL (if you aren't a Mainframe JCL coder) before you finish the allocation, use Procs etc where possible, all the usual words :)

Good luck.
Andrew

Think outside the Datastage you work in.

There is no True Way, but there are true ways.