Simple question : how to do "10 to the power of x"

Formally known as "Mercator Inside Integrator 6.7", DataStage TX enables high-volume, complex transactions without the need for additional coding.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

michel
Participant

Simple question : how to do "10 to the power of x"

Post by michel »

Hello,
I wonder how to execute a basic mathematical operation :
"10 to the power x" ?

I don't know if my explanation is clear, so I will give some examples :
For example I would like to have the result of "10 to the power of 4" ( = 10000 ) ... or even "5 to th power of 3" ( = 75 ).

I did not find anything in the manual or help for this basic operator, so if you can help me, I would really appreciate.

Thanks in advance.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I don't know TX, but usually x**y will do it (at least that will work in server/px) - have you tried that?
michel
Participant

Post by michel »

Thanks a lot, but I tried it and it did not work in TX. Has anybody another idea, please ?
Thanks in advance.
janhess
Participant

Post by janhess »

At vn 8.1 you can use the POWER function in mathlib
michel
Participant

Post by michel »

Thanks, but the matter is that we won't upgrade to v8.1 before a long (undetermined) time. So I would really have appreciated a solution in v7.5 ... if somebody knows one !?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If the exponent is integer and small you might be able to multiply in a loop.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If the exponent is integer and small you might be able to multiply in a loop.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vivek
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by vivek »

you could use something like 10eX.
michel
Participant

Post by michel »

Thank you for your help, but "10eX" doesn't work and I can't do a loop (neither make a custom function) in v7.5

Is it a problem without a solution ? ... It would be a pity for such a basic operation ... :cry: ...

If someone else has an idea !? ...
DianeC
Participant

Post by DianeC »

Here's how I got it. Input tt has 2 fields - number, exponent
Output tt has 1 field, nbrout (1:s)
Map has 1 input card, 2 output cards (first one set to 'sink'), one Functional map.

1st output card has the nbrout field indexed to get to the 1st occurance, then the rest. nbrout [1], nbrout[2:s] The first occurance gets loaded with the number itself.
nbrout[2:s] is the FMap using an index to compare to the exponent for the looping. The FMap just multiplies the nbrout*number repeatedly until loop condition is met.
"IF ( INDEX($) < Exp Fields:NbrFle, DoFINAL(NumberTst Fields:NbrFle, NbrOut Fields:DtOut))"

The 2nd output card maps the last occurance of the multiple nbrout from the first output card for the answer. nbrout[LAST].

Doing this, I used 2 as the number and 4 as the exponent, got 16 for my output.

Of course if you're working from deeper within a map, you can change it as needed, but you get the idea.